- Reduced overall number of hospital-acquired infections by 50% during rapid volume growth
- Sustained zero wrong-site surgeries for eight years
- Sustained zero falls for over one year in ICU
- Achieved nurse retention rate of 80.6%
- Implemented EPIC electronic health record system
- BSN rate 83% (julio 1, 2019- junio 30, 2020)
- Certification rate 33% (julio 1, 2019- junio 30, 2020)
Exemplary Professional Practice
- Magnet® Recognition from the American Nurses Credentialing Center
- Accreditation by the Commission on Cancer of the American College of Surgeons
- Designation as a Primary Stroke Center by The Joint Commission
- Accreditation as a Chest Pain Center by the Society of Cardiovascular Patient Care
- Designation as a Baby-Friendly site by Baby-Friendly USA
- Received NICU Designation by the State of Texas as a Level III Neonatal Intensive Care Unit
- Designation as a Texas Ten Step Facility by the Texas Department of State Health Services
- Accreditation by the American College of Radiology in Mammography
- Certification for Leadership in Energy & Environmental Design by the US Green Building Council
- Guardian of Excellence Award for Patient Experience by Press Ganey
New Knowledge, Innovations, and Improvements
Completed Research Studies
- Cora Stockton; Kayla Carey, BSN, RN; Kathleen Ellis, PhD, RN; Betsy Fritz, MSN, RN, CNML, CCRN-K; Penny Huddleston, PhD, RN, CCRN, NEA-BC; Kathy Kamp, MSN, RNC-NIC; Paula Rodriguez, BSN, RN-BC; Karen Stanzo, MSN, RN, IBCLC, NEA-BC Linda Tjiong, DBA, MSN, RN, NE-BC; Staci Phelps, MSN, RN, RNC-NIC – NDNQI Improving NICU infant outcomes through nursing: Parent satisfaction research study (IRB# 018-176). (Location: BUMC, College Station, Grapevine, Irving, McKinney)
- Mallory Piaschyk, MSN, RN, CCRN. Patients' and nurses' perceptions of a female external catheter device as an alternative to indwelling urinary catheter. (IRB# 018-571).
- Carol S. Arrendell, MSN, RN, CCRN, NPD-BC. Employee knowledge and perceptions of patient and/or visitor initiated workplace violence in a community hospital (IRB # 018-703).
- Linda Tjiong, DBA, MSN, RN. “Susie" Pet Robotic Therapy in Acute Care Hospital Settings (IRB#015-295).
- Karen Stanzo, MSN, RN, IBCLC, NEA-BC. Effects of dextrose gel on infants at risk for hypoglycemia in a Baby-Friendly Hospital (IRB #018-759).
- Kathleen Ellis, PhD, RN; Amanda Majors, BSN, RNC-NIC; Betsy Fritz MSN, RN, CNML, CCRN-K; Linda Tjiong, DBA, MSN, RN, NE-BC. Knowledge and perceptions of maternal/child nurses towards intimate partner violence (IRB #016-089).
- Chiruvolu, A., Miklis, K.K., Stanzo, K.C., Petrey, B., Groves, C.G., McCord, K., Qin, H., Desai, S., & Tolia, V.N. (2017, July/ August). Effects of skin-to-skin care on late preterm and term infants at risk for neonatal hypoglycemia. Journal of Pediatric Quality and Safety, 2(4), e030.
- Chiruvolu, A., Miklis, K.K., Chen, E., Petrey, B., & Desai, S. (2018) Delivery room management of meconium-stained newborns and respiratory support. Pediatrics, 142(6). doi:10.1542/peds.2018-1485.
- Chiruvolu, A., Petrey, B., Stanzo, K., & Daoud, Y. (2020). An institutional approach to the management of asymptomatic chorioamnionitis-exposed infants born ≥ 35 weeks gestation. Pediatric Quality and Safety, 4, 1-6. doi:10.1097/pq9.0000000000000238
- Stanzo, K.C. (2018). Infant Feeding in S. Murray et al. (Eds.). Maternal-Newborn and Women's Health Nursing (606-632). St. Louis, MO: Elsevier.
- Stanzo, K. C., Desai, S., & Chiruvolu, A. (2020). Effects of dextrose gel on newborns at risk for neonatal hypoglycemia in a Baby-Friendly hospital. Journal of Obstetric, Gynecologic & Neonatal Nursing,49, 55-64. doi:10.1016/j.jogn.2019.11.006
- Arrendell, C.S. (2019, November). Slapped and grabbed? How can we keep staff safe? Ochsner's Annual EBP/ Research Conference, New Orleans, LA.
- Petrey, B. (2017). Reducing neonatal hypoglycemia admissions to the neonatal intensive care unit. Association of Women's Health, Obstetric and Neonatal Nurses Annual Conference, New Orleans, LA.
- Petrey, B. (2019, November). Tips for a Level III site survey. TETAF Perinatal Forum, Austin, TX.
- Stanzo, K.C. (2017, May). The effects of prolonged skin-to-skin care in infants at high risk for hypoglycemia. United States Lactation Consultants Association Conference in San Antonio, TX.
- Stanzo, K.C. (2017, November). The effects of prolonged skin-to-skin care on infants at high risk for hypoglycemia. The Dallas Lactation Consultant Association, Dallas, TX.
- Stanzo, K.C., McCord, K., & Manos, M. (2019, April). The power of opposite strengths. Yale New Haven Hospital seminar, New Haven, CT.
- Tjiong, L.A. (2018, October). Professional development fellowship: A succession planning program. ANCC Annual Magnet Conference, Denver, CO.
- Stanzo, K.S. (2018, November). Effects of dextrose gel on infants at risk for neonatal hypoglycemia in a Baby-Friendly Hospital. Academy of Breastfeeding Medicine Conference, San Francisco, CA.
- Stanzo, K.S. (2019, May). Effects of dextrose gel on infants at risk for neonatal hypoglycemia in a Baby-Friendly Hospital. United States Lactation Consultant Association Conference, Scottsdale, AZ.
- Stanzo, K.S. (2020, March. Conference canceled because of Covid). Effects of dextrose gel on infants at risk for neonatal hypoglycemia in a Baby-Friendly Hospital. Sigma Theta Tau Delta Chapter Conference, Arlington, TX.
- Stanzo, K.S. (2020, March. Conference canceled because of Covid). Effects of dextrose gel on infants at risk for neonatal hypoglycemia in a Baby-Friendly Hospital. Southern Nursing Research Society, New Orleans, LA.
- Rich, D. & Kindla, C. (2020, November). Orange you glad you banded your patient: A system approach to therapeutic packing. Association of Women’s Health, Obstetric and Neonatal Nursing Annual Conference, virtual from Las Vegas, NV.