Cardiothoracic surgery specialists on our medical staff perform open heart surgery, as well as minimally invasive and robot-assisted techniques. Open heart surgery refers to heart surgical procedures where the chest is opened, and the heart is stopped to repair or replace tissue, muscle, valves or arteries of the heart. Treatment can include bypass surgery, aortic surgery, valve surgery, arrhythmia surgery, heart failure and congenital heart disease surgery.
Baylor Scott & White The Heart Hospital – Plano received a distinguished three star rating, the highest possible, for quality and patient outcomes from The Society of Thoracic Surgeons in four of five heart surgery categories including:
- Aortic valve replacement (AVR)
- Aortic valve replacement in combination with coronary artery bypass graft surgery (AVR+CABG)
- Isolated coronary artery bypass graft surgery (CABG)
- Isolated mitral valve repair and replacement (MVRR)
Baylor Scott & White The Heart Hospital – Denton received three stars in two categories:
- Isolated Coronary Artery Bypass (CABG)
- Aortic Valve Replacement and CABG (AVR + CABG)
Baylor University Medical Center received three stars for isolated coronary artery bypass graft surgery (CABG).
The STS star rating system is one of the most sophisticated and highly regarded overall measures of quality in health care, rating the benchmarked outcomes of cardiothoracic surgery programs in the United States and Canada.