Arts in Medicine
This program incorporates arts and music as therapeutic tools. Music and art therapy are evidence-based healthcare professions. Services are available at the bedside or in individual or group settings. We also provide music practitioners who play at the bedside enhancing the healing process. All services in Arts in Medicine are offered a no cost. For more information, call 214.820.2608.
Behavioral health oncology program
The primary goal of behavioral health oncology consultation services is to help Dallas cancer patients manage common cancer-related physical, emotional and behavioral health challenges.
Download our behavioral health oncology brochure
Ernie’s Appearance Center, Ernie’s is a specialty boutique located in the Baylor Scott & White Charles A. Sammons Cancer Center – Dallas, Suite 280. The center features breast prosthesis, mastectomy bras and compression garments, as well as a collection of beautiful and unique clothing and gifts. For more information, call 214.820.8282.
Cancer group meetings
The Patient Resource Center is pleased to offer disease-specific education programs that address the needs of individuals with specific types of cancer.
Unless noted otherwise, group meetings will be held in the Patient Resource Center, Suite 200 in the Baylor Scott & White Charles A. Sammons Cancer Center – Dallas located at 3410 Worth Street in Dallas, Texas.
Call 214.820.2608 to learn more
- Amyloid Support North Texas: Second Saturday, 10:00 AM - 1:00 PM, Room 7, lower level, Truett Hospital (outside cafeteria)
- Inflammatory Breast Cancer: Monthly, first Tuesday and fourth Friday, 11:30 AM - 12:30 PM
- Lung Cancer Education Group: Monthly, fourth Thursday, 2:30-3:30 PM, 3410 Worth Street, Suite 200, Patient Resource Center
- North Texas Myeloma Support Group: Monthly, second Saturday, 10:00 AM - 1:00 PM, Baylor Scott & White Charles A. Sammons Cancer Center – Dallas, 3410 Worth St.,10th floor conference center.
- Oral, Head & Neck Cancer Support Group: Monthly, second Tuesday, 11:00 AM - 1:00 PM, Baylor Scott & White Charles A. Sammons Cancer Center – Dallas, 3410 Worth Street,10th floor
- Ovarian Cancer Group: First and third Monday, 11:30 AM - 12:30 PM, Patient Resource Center, 3410 Worth St., Suite 200
- Waldenström's Macroglobulinemia Group: Bimonthly during Super Saturday. the third Saturday of even-numbered months
Cancer resource area
To help you and your family learn about and cope with cancer, the Patient Resource Center also offers a patient library on the Baylor University Medical Center campus:
The Deborah Leah Kielman-Rodriguez Patient Education Library is located inside the Patient Resource Center, Suite 200.
FitSTEPS for LIfe
FitSTEPS for Life is an exercise program developed to tailor exercise to patient’s specific diagnosis and physical capabilities. The program was initially designed for cancer patients.
FitSTEPS for Life operates in multiple locations in the Dallas-Fort Worth area including the Baylor University Medical Center. The program permits patients to benefit from a gym-like experience for free. A family member or friend is also allowed to join the exercise program at no cost.
In every location, exercise specialists help patients establish an exercise program according to individual goals. After an initial visit, FitSTEPS has an open gym policy and participants may continue utilizing the facilities for the lifetime of the patient. The goal is to establish and maintain a healthy and active lifestyle during and following cancer treatment.
Ask your oncologist for a referral to join FitSTEPS for Life and fax to: 1.877.931.7975. Once your referral is received, you will be contacted by phone to schedule your first visit.
Healthy cooking demonstrations offer cancer support by providing tips on topics such as Summer Sweets, Gluten-Free Favorites, Vegetarian 101 and Diabetic Delight.
Cooking during cancer treatment
Monthly and seasonal cancer support events in Dallas
- Annual Breast Cancer Survivorship Luncheon
- Annual Lung Cancer Survivorship Luncheon
- Annual National Cancer Survivorship Celebration
Annual Ovarian Cancer Survivorship Luncheon
- Annual Patient Resource Holiday Party
- BMT Reunion
- Catch and Release
- Holiday events
- Pet Portrait
- Refresh and Rejuvenate
Restore, relax, renew
We offer several cancer support programs in Dallas designed to provide tools that may reduce tension, anxiety, anger or fatigue and promote a healthy overall well-being, including:
- Lanny Shaeffer Book Club: Join us for a relaxing time with new friends. Each month the book club will feature a novel of general interest to read and discuss.
- Journaling: Come explore the ways words and the expressive arts come together. You will both write and use art materials to enhance the healing process. No experience necessary.
- Open Art Studio: A program designed to allow schedule flexibility as "come-and-go." Participants work alongside one another and the facilitator while engaging in and observing the creative process. All are welcome. No art experience necessary.
- Therapeutic Music: A free service for our patients that uses live music to promote healing, relaxation and stress reduction.
- Passing Hats: Come and learn to knit with a loom. Whether you know how to knit or not, join us and make new friends. These hats are given to patients receiving treatment for their cancer - survivor to survivor.
- Exercises classes: Classes are offered through FitSteps. For more information, call 214.820.2608.